Volunteer GAL Request for Funding Guidelines
The State of Florida provides for the daily needs of children in the dependency system. However, children in the child welfare system deserve to be treated like any other child and should also be able to participate in normal, age-appropriate activities.
Some Basic Guidelines
- Requests may be made when financial hardship is created for the caregiver in providing for the child’s need.
- Requests should be for children in unlicensed care. Your CAM will know if an exception applies. Discuss it with your CAM before submission.
- Case Manager should be consulted before making a request, since they are aware of other local sources to which the caregiver can be referred, such as the Sharing Center, Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, food banks and other community and faith based resources.
- 211 Brevard.com is an excellent place to inquire about local resources available.
- Caregiver families should have applied for caregiver funding. (Note: both relative and non-relative caregivers are eligible for caregiver funding.)
What you can request
- Friends typically funds items of clothing, shoes, underwear, food, diapers, school uniforms, camping, special one-time requests needed by a child for normalcy.
- Friends and the GAL Program often make available nearly new clothing, books and toys for GAL pick up on a first come first served basis. Check the office closet.
- What Friends does not typically fund: gaming platforms, computer games, cell phones, on-going expenses such as monthly cell phone bills, electric bills, rent.
A few suggested sources for kids’ and other “stuff”:
- All about Kids (See web site www.allaboutkidssale.com. Offered several times each year, Fall sale late September.)
- Once Upon a Child (retail store)
- Salvation Army
- yard sales
- churches other thrift Stores
- Women’s Center
- Sharing Center
A little shopping goes a long way!
By applying & receiving funding, you agree to the following
I understand by accepting Friends’ funds, I am responsible to provide Friends with receipts for the merchandise purchased and to return any excess funds.
Original receipts should be mailed to:
Friends of Children of Brevard
Guardian ad Litem Office
Moore Justice Center
2825 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
Viera, FL 32940
or receipts may also be hand-delivered to the GAL office where there is a folder in the hallway for these Funding Requests Receipts. Your cooperation in submitting these original receipts within 10 days of purchase is appreciated, but must be submitted within 30 days.
Funds may only be used for the purpose intended.